Is your home winter fire safe?
We recommend this simple winter fire safety checklist to help keep homes fire safe in this cold weather. Make sure you and everyone in your household follows the following safety advice:
- Never ever leave cooking unattended. “Keep Looking When Cooking”
- Most importantly, have a Fire Extinguisher installed in your home and make sure that you test them regularly.
- Make sure you and all your family know two safe ways out of every room in your home.
- Have a written home escape plan in case of fire and practice it regularly.
- If you have a fireplace in your home make sure the chimney is clean, and its properly ventilated
- If you have a fireplace always place a screen in front of it when in use.
- Take care to keep curtains, tablecloths and bedding away from portable heaters.
- Keep wet clothing at least 1 metre from heaters or fireplaces and never leave unattended.
- If you use a clothes dryer make sure you clean the lint filter each and every time you use it.
- Only use one appliance per power point and switch off when not in use.
- Always extinguish candles or any other open flames before going to bed.
- Always handle candles or any other open flame with care.
- Store matches or lighters in a secure place not accessible to young children.
- Avoid the use of outdoor heating and cooking equipment inside your home. The use of this type of equipment indoors could lead to the build up of carbon Monoxide which could be fatal.
- Fast action is critical, Keep Fire Extinguisher Visible